Monday, December 13, 2010

Vegitable Soup (aka: Vegetable Beef Soup or Vegetable Beef Stew)

If you are married to a meat and potatoes man like I am this is a recipe for you.  I have always grown up calling it Vegetable Soup, but there is actually meat in it too!

When I first said something to Caleb about making Vegetable Soup he about died of discussed.

Ya see Caleb detests vegetables except for green beans, corn, tomatoes, and potatoes.

I informed him that those were all in this as well as some good ol' roast, but he still kept saying YUCK.

That was until I made it and now he loves it.

It is a very delicious and hardy mean, and it really easy too.


Here's what ya need for the Meat: 1-1.5 lb roast, herbs, and 2-3 Cups of Water.


If you want to use beef stock to cook the meat in that's ok too. Either will work just fine so whatever floats your boat.


For the herbs / spices I use 2-3 bay leaves and half a dozen or so whole balls of allspice. I really like the flavor that these give it, but you can use whatever you have in you cupboard.


Now all ya have to do is put these into a crock pot and turn it on high and let it cook for 3-5 hours or until it is really tender and pulls apart easily with a fork.

You can also put it in first thing in the morning and set your crock pot to low and let it cook all day and by the time you are home from work it will be done.

You can also use a dutch oven in the oven if you don't have a crock pot.
 
Once the meat is nice and tender put the meat on a plate or in a bowl and allow it to cool, then pull it a apart into bite size chunks.

If you are impatient like me you can grab a couple of forks and pull it apart instead.


This is one of those meals that my mom loves because everything I am putting in this was produced on the farm.

Minus the salt and pepper....but seriously they don't count.

Ok here's what ya need: 1-1.5 lb Beef Roast Cooked and pulled into pieces, 1 quart Tomato Juice, 1 quart Green Beans, 1 quart Frozen Sweet Corn, and Salt ans pepper to taste.

*This recipe also works really good with leftover pot roast.

You can also use potatoes, just dice them into 1" - 1/2" cube and cook them until they are soft, but not mushy.  I'll be honest I was just to lazy to cook them when I did this, so that's why I don't have them in there.

Other ideas might be some carrots that are pre-cooked, celery, onions...whatever other veggies you might want to use. I personally like the simplicity of it with just these few and I love the way it tastes but to each their own.


Turn your burner to med/med-high heat

Now in a medium to large pan pour the tomato juice.


Next add the green beans...


the corn...


..and the meat.

You can add as much meat an veggies that you would like if you need too just add more tomato juice.

If you don't like as much meat, then don't add as much. As for Caleb and I we like it meaty so I use it all!


Now cook it till it's hot all the way through and is bubbling some. If you want it a little thicker you can cook it longer till it cooks down more.


Now spoon it into a bowl and enjoy.  I like to have some saltine crackers with butter on top of them with mine.

That brings up a question I have and long standing argument in my family...

Which side of the cracker do you butter or put spread on...the flat side or the bumpy side?

With colder temps setting in this is a great meal to come in a warm up with, so enjoy.

JP



Vegetable Beef Soup

1-1.5lb Beef Roast cooked and pieced
1 quart Tomato Juice
1 quart Green Beans
1 Quart Frozen Sweet Corn
Salt
Pepper

In a medium to large pan pour all the ingredients in and heat till hot and bubbly. Add Salt and Pepper to taste.

7 comments:

  1. Definately the bumpy side. This looks yummy! Everytime I mention cooking vegetable soup, Lance makes a frowny face, lol. I could probably call this "beef stew" and he would make a happy face! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You butter the bumpy side. For sure. This soup looks tasty, and I bet it would smell awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahaha! FLAT SIDE all the way!! I never really thought about which side I put it on until you mentioned it. I will def have to try this. Looks so yummy and the smells I bet are heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks very good and easy. This will make a good after Christmas meal when I am tired of cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a giant bowl of yum to me!

    And to comment on the argument about butter and crackers...I am dead set against crackers with soup. But that is just because I'm weird...sorry I can't help you out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious. I need some crock pot recipes and I am adding this one to the list. Love all the photos.

    www.cdycattle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm, I love making beef stew and soups. I usually buy my sirloins in bulk and cut them up for stew meat. I love putting sweet potato and butternut squash in mine. Mmm, good!

    ReplyDelete