Friday, February 12, 2010

Yummy Yummy, For My Tummy Blackberry Cobbler

One of my all time favorite deserts is blackberry cobbler. Oh just thinking about it makes my mouth water! The great thing about it, is it is so easy to make. So for those of you who are kinda scared to make pies from scratch cause the pie dough scares you then this is the thing for you!

Cobbler Roll Call: Blackberries, Sugar, Butter, and Pie Dough

The recipe calls for a 9x13 pan, and the amounts of sugar and butter I will be for a 9x13 pan. I will be making this in a smaller pan...well because even though Caleb and I could probably eat an entire 9x13 pan full we really don't need to and also because this is a really easy recipe to wing it on.


Start with putting a layer of blackberries (or whatever fruit you want) on the bottom of the pan.

Next sprinkle about 3/4 - 1 Cup of sugar on top (with blackberries and other extra tart fruit make sure to use at least a cup of sugar) If you think it doesn't look like enough sugar then add some more the sweeter the better!!



Next take about 1/2 stick of butter and dot the sugar covered berries with it. There’s no rhyme or reason how to do this. You could make a smiley face with the butter if you really wanted to.

Doesn't that look soo deliciously good!!!  I am a huge fan of real butter, its about all I use when cooking, and when you pare it with sugar then you know it's got to be good!! (If you don't want to use real butter, don't have it, then use whatever 'wets your whistle' cause when your making it then it's about what you like not what I like, but if you want to share it I won't say no) 
Next take half the batch of pie dough on a floured surface...
... and roll it out into a 9x13 rectangle or as close as you  can get.
Don't worry if you have to cut pieces off and piece it in there cause no one will see this layer.


Now repeat the blackberry, sugar and butter layer on top of the pie dough using another 3/4 - 1 cup of Sugar and 1/2 stick of butter.


Then with the other half of the pie dough roll it out like you did the last one and place it on top. Don't worry about it being perfect the corners don't have to be perfectly square cause that's where all that gooey goodness will bubble up and out.


After you have placed it on the cobbler sprinkle with some sugar on top, but don't ask how much cause there is no perfect amount. As my mom would say enough but not too much!


Look at those layers, don't they look wonderful!!


Now place it in the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes at 400 degrees. Really you probably should have turned the oven on when you started, but I am the queen of forgetting to do this, and to tell ya the truth for this recipe it won't hurt it a bit if you do forget!


When it gets nice and golden on top it is done.
Doesn't it look so deliciously good!!!
Let it cool for about 10 minutes or so. It's best served with homemade ice cream. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it!!
Since I didn't any homemade ice cream I had to use the next best thing...
...just pour a little heavy whipping cream on it and enjoy!

Helpful Hints
When I make pie crust, I usually make a couple of batches and break it up into the amount you would use for one layer of a pie, stick it in a freezer bag, and place it in the freezer. Then whenever I want to make a pie I just pull it out and stick it in the microwave for about 30 seconds and your good to go.
Something else that makes things a whole lot easier is freezing blackberries. In the summer after picking a big batch of blackberries I will wash them off and then spread them out on a cookie sheet and lay them flat in a freezer. Leave them in there for an hour or until they are frozen solid like a blackberry ice cube. Once they are frozen pull them back out and place them into a ziploc bag and stick them back into the freezer. Then when ever you need some you can just pull them out and they are soo much easier to use! Also it's a lot cheaper if you can do this. If you have ever bought them in the store you know what I'm talking about!

I hope ya'll enjoy this as much as I do!

Lots of Love,

Janet


4 comments:

  1. That looks great. Blackberries are my favorite. You're lucky you can get them fresh. I'm stuck getting them at the store. Thanks for the recipe...I'll definitely be using it.

    Have a great weekend.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy that looks yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, my belly is grumbling! That looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mouth is watering! And what the heck is Jimmie Johnson doing in the back ground? At least you're team Chevy! lol

    ReplyDelete