Friday, March 12, 2010

$6 Smoothie

So smoothies are just plain delicious. I absolutely love them, but I hate having to pay $6 for one at a coffee or smoothie shop…..plus I live out in the middle of nowhere and there isn’t any where to get one.


I worked at a coffee shoe in college for a while and learned some great trick for making these wonderful drinks. So I have been making my own smoothies at home for a long time, to quench my thirst for a fruity icy drink. They are extremely easy to make.....
Roll Call: Orange Juice, check. Ice, check. Strawberries, check. Sugar, check.

Alright, for one glass full you will use about 1/2 a quart of strawberries. Throw them into the blender, then pour in some OJ.  You can also use water if you don't have oj.
Now pour some sugar into the blender....for me there is no such thing as to much sugar, but if you don't think that way then start with a little and do a taste test later to see if you need more.
Now add some ice.  I usually start with a small amount and add more later.
Now let 'er rip.

After the taste test I needed more ice and sugar. Now mix it up again and do another taste test. If it's to thick add more OJ or water....if it's to runny then add more ice.


Now this is for a basic strawberry smoothie......take it and be creative by adding....


maybe a banana
or some canned peaches....frozen would be even better, but I am very stingy with my frozen peaches

my favorite is using pineapple......it's soo yummy!
Today was a peach day.
Now blend it all up again....
....pour it in a glass....
....stick a straw in it and enjoy.
Or if you need to hit the road stick it in a cup from your favorite school and just enjoy.

Hope ya'll enjoy....try it with your favorite fruits. 
If you'd rather have a coffee drink then check out this yummy drink from my friend Jennifer, it's great.

4 comments:

  1. I started doing something like this a long time ago. Just find all the cans of fruit or frozen fruit in your house, add some sugar and oj and blend! One of my favorites is adding blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the sound of that...I'm gonna have to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I add vanilla yogurt to mine too. No matter how you make it it's all good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmmmm, that looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete