Friday, May 14, 2010

Him - Me...There's a Little Difference

So a little over a week ago Caleb and I headed out to build a gate in one of our newest pastures. We were needing to 'work' (vaccinate and tag) our newest group of ladies and the best place to do this was in our pasture that was across the road.
So we needed to get from here....
...to here. One problem...
....there is no gate for the cows to go through on this side. So...
...we built this, a super-freeway of a gate to get the cattle from one side of the road to the other.
To get this project started we first need to get a couple of huge monster corner post. The only king of tree that we ever use for a post around here is hedge. Ya know those 'devil trees' that I fought and won against. Luckily for me Caleb had already spotted some monster trees that would work great for posts and he had already done all the cutting on them. So all we had to do was drag all the trash away and get the post.

This is where the story begins; the difference between me and him.
Caleb is a very focused person. When he's in the middle of doing a job he's very hard to talk to. He has a one track mind and only thinks about the job. Which most of the time I love this about him. Unless I am trying to ask him a question about something that does not involve the farm. It's like pullin' teeth to get an answer sometimes.

Me on the other hand, I am very easily distracted. I'm like Dory from “Finding Nemo,” I see anything shinny and I totally forget what I'm doin'. Ok it doesn't have to be shinny, all it has to do is move. I'll go chasin' after any little (or big) critter I see even if I'm suppose to be workin'. You can ask my folks, I've been doin' this since I was old enough to walk.
 So, while Caleb was pullin' brush away I was....
...chasin' after turtles.
While he was workin', I was...
...spyin' frogs in the grass.
He was doin' this and...
...I was playin' with this.
Him
Me
I don't know what it is, but if I see something go movin' through the grass, I just have to go and see what it is. And if it's a frog, turtle, snake, or any other reptile or amphibian then boy am I in trouble. I just have to chase after it an catch it.

Why you may ask?

That's a good question, and I have no idea what the answer is. I just have to catch the little guy. It doesn't matter what I am doin'. Once I catch it and show some one my latest catch...
I then release it and get back to work.

After being home this past weekend for my grandma's funeral I did hear some stories about my dad that may explain why I am the way I am.

One of my cousins said that you would often see my dad out there rakin' hay on one of his old cabless Allis tractors and then all of a sudden it would come to a screeching halt and dad would go barreling off the tractor chasin' after some little critter.....but usually he would have a hammer in his hand and would be trying to get a groundhog that kept diggin' holes in his field. I can't say that I am totally different, I have been known to go chain' after anything that I see movin' on the ground when I'm rakin' hay as well. I guess 'the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree!"

That's all for now,

Jan

5 comments:

  1. I swear we are married to the same men. We put up an electric fence a few summers ago for the goats we had. OHMYGOSH it's a wonder we survived that first summer being married. I still can't read his "sign language" that he thinks I should know.

    I'm kinda like you in that I'll have to investigate what is making the grass move, but if it's a spider I'm outta there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so funny. I usually just stand there looking at my feet, kicking at the dirt while the husband is working on the fence. Or taking pictures of grasshoppers or dogs or cattle or well you get the point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha!! I can relate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's soo good to know that I'm not alone!!!

    ReplyDelete