Thursday, February 17, 2011

One Man's Junk...

This past week has been a crazy busy week from the get go. I haven't sat down at the computer but for about two seconds...

Which isn't near enough time to write a blog post, let a lone read anyone else's, but that's life some times.

Well yesterday afternoon I got a crazy itch and was out in the garage wokin' on a project for our house and I was lovin' how beautiful it was out there so I ask my hubby to go for a walk with me.

First he said no....

But I don't really like that word so I took the paper he was reading away from him and asked him to just walk out into the barn yard with me over to where the cattle were standing....

It's maybe a 100 yards, I didn't think this would hurt him too much!

Well while we were out there we decided to pick up some stick that were laying in the yard and take them out to the brush pile in the pasture...

This led to walking over to this old mineral feeder and ripping a board off of it for another project I have to do....

Then we kept on walking...

By an old pole barn that we need to cut a tree down by....

Then on back to the back side of the property to look at the wheat that we planted late last fall...

It made us both very happy to find that it was sprouting and looks like it will make it...

But it made us very sad to discover that the fence was tore up pretty good and we are gonna have to fix it.

We only had Jasper with us on the walk cause the other two were really bad the night before and were on the chain...

On the way back there Jasper found a nasty ole possum and had a good ol' time tryin' to kill it...

We tried to help too but I don't know if we did any good or not.

As we were walkin' back we were passin' by this old pile of "stuff left by the previous land owner...

Well we have gone by this pile a million times and I have never really paid any attention. It just so happened this time that I need to add some thing to the pile and while I was over there I found a little treasure just lookin' at me...


It was this dirt old 8 gallon crock...

I love old crocks so I made Caleb come over and help me fish it out of the pile...



In the process of pullin' it out of the mud my buff husband broke a piece off of it...

Its easily fixed so it didn't bother me and well I found out why it was back there in the first place...


It had a big ol' hole in the bottom of it...

Not very good for storing liquid, but if it just sits there and holds stuff then no big deal.



It was too far back there to carry it all the way back to the house. So once we finished with our walk I headed back in the Jimmy and brought it back and did some washin' up on it and it looks as good as new....

Ok maybe not as good as new, but it looks a lot better that's for sure.

It's not Western Crock...that's really sought after, but it's a Pittsburgh one that was made just down the road in Pittsburgh, KS.

Needless to say I was a happy girl when it was all said and done.

Oh, we ended up walking a little over a mile...

Which is more like a 100 miles to my hubby who doesn't enjoy walks like I do. I will probably go back out this afternoon and go on another one, but this time I will take my camera with me.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful day and that ya'll enjoy this beautiful weather if you are getting it...

Laters,

JP

8 comments:

  1. Love your crock! That would make an awesome planter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol....that was actually one of my ideas for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A planter was my first thought as well. Great find!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother in law collects Red Wing crocks and all their other stuff. She actually just got back from a Red Wing convention in Des Moines on Sunday. I was over at their house last night looking at all her cool treasures. I had never heard of Red Wing until I met TNT. She even started buying me Red Wing vases that are really neat.

    We have friends that live in Pittsburg. In two years we will probably be going there for a graduation. I doubt we can skip this one since the boy is named after my hubby. If we haven't met by then we will for sure have to meet up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet, what a great find!! I love ditch/holler junking, as I call it. I always find some cool things, but never found a crock! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I have several that I've picked up at auctions. Big, little and in between. Love them. I think they are timeless.

    What a beautiful day for a walk. Your hubby sounds like mine, he never wants to walk with me either!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! I love old crocks... they are so expensive at the antique stores though. I'd love to find a couple someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's neat. My grandmother has dug up a few old butter churns in her basement that I now have in my dining room. There's also an old chicken coop near our house that I would love to go through! Looks like there might be some goodies in there. But I'll have to do it before it gets hot, might be snakes in there! lol

    ReplyDelete