Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Chocolate Lover's Cake


     If you were to ask my family they all would tell you that I am good at talking, I love farming and gardening, and that I love horses, but they probably wouldn't say anything about cooking....but I love to cook. I don't always get the chance to make things for everyone since I live so far away from them all. So Christmas '08 I came in with some really yummy and cute looking cupcakes everybody was surprised that I made them. Well thanks to my Grandma Dorothy, I get the 'Taste of Home' magazine, which is full of all sorts of fun things to make. It is also where I got the idea for the cupcakes last year before Christmas and this year in the pre-Christmas magazine there was this yummy lookin' chocolate cake on the front and I wanted to make it for Christmas, cause I know my sister-in-law's would love it, but if you have read my previous post's then you would know it was kinda crazy at that time and it wasn't happening. So when I found out that one of my best friends was coming to visit at the beginning of the month I decided to make it and it turned out wonderfully!!!






Chocolate - Strawberry Celibration Cake

Cake
1 pkg. (18-1/4 oz.) Chocolate cake mix
1 pkg. (3.9 oz.) instant chocolate pudding mix
4 eggs
1 cup (8 oz.) sour cream
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup canola oil
4 oz semisweet chocolate, melted

Frosting
2 cups butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cups baking cocoa
1/2 cup milk

Garnishes
2 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted
1 lb fresh strawberries, hulled

Ganache
4 oz. semisweet  chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Cake
Comebine all seven cake ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in round baking pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for 28-32 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutesbefore removing from pans to wire racks to cool completly
Frosting
Beat butter, powdered sugar, and cocoa until blended; add milk adn and beat till smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
Arrange straberries on top of cake.  
Ganache
Place chocolate in a small bowl. Heat cream just to a boil; pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Drizzle over the top of the cake allow ganache to drape down the sides 
Chocolate Garnish
Pipe or spoon melted chocolate ontowaxed paper in decorative designs; let stand until set.
Top cake with chocolate garnish

Next time I make it I would probably use a 9"x13" and probably use 2 lbs strawberries on it. It is really easy to make and look great and is so good!!!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, my mouth is watering! That looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you could go into a Chocolate Coma there!! Looks beautiful Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SO making that cake! I'll think of you and your Grandma Dorothy when I do. Thanks for the recipe! It looks beautiful AND delicious! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, yummy! I love that fru fru stuff on top! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a chocolate cake fan, but let me tell you my mouth is watering. I'm pretty sure I could make an exception and have a slice or the whole thing. Those strawberries look awesome. You did a great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete